From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:35:26 -0700
Ross,
        I don't know about Tyrian purple dyed material but the Native
Americans in the Mexican state of Oaxaca still use Purpura patula pansa to
dye their purple yarns for weaving.  Maybe you could get a woven piece from
a Mexican import store. Several years ago there was a wonderful speaker at
a meeting of the Conchological Club of Southern California (From the Hebrew
Union School in L.A.) that talked of the process and had beautiful slides.
You might want to contact Lindsey Groves for the name of the gentleman.  If
you find something of interest let us all know because there are others of
us that are also interested in the project.
Dan Yoshimoto

>If i may interrupt Nerite Lunch and other erudite narratives on this
>exiting weekend, i'd like to
>know if pieces/bits/bolts/chunks of cloth dyed with real "Royal Purple"
>dye from Hexaplex trunculus
>and/or Bolinus brandaris L., are available anywhere?  They might be fun to
>have around, for
>story-telling purposes!
>-Ross M.
>
>--
>Ross Mayhew: Schooner Specimen Shells: Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com
>"We Specialize in the Unusual"
>Phone: (902) 876-2241; Fax: (902) 479-1863.
>But try to find "something for Everyone"!!
>Snail Mail:  349 Herring Cove Rd, P.O Box 20005,  Halifax, N.S., Canada,
>B3R 2K9.

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California