From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:52:04 -0400
Dear Tom,

On p. 259 of Olsson, A. A. and A. Harbison (1953.  Pliocene mollusca of
southern Florida.  Monograph No. 8 Academy of Natural Sciences of
Philadelphia, v + pp. 1-457 + 65 pls.), Pyrula papyratia caloosahatchiensis
B. Smith, 1907 (Proc. ANSP 59: 212) is synonymized with Ficus papyratia
(Say, 1821).  O. & H. illustrated Smith's type (the 1907 paper had only had
a scanty description and line drawing) on their pl. 41 alongside a Recent
F. p.  I see no significant difference between the two.  The type locality
of Smith's species is in the Caloosahatchee marl.  (Any time you see the
nomen "caloosahatchee" in any of its iterations, its a very good bet the
taxon is from the Caloosahatchee Pliocene of FL.)  F. p. also occurs in the
Pliocene of St,. Petersburg (FL).

Since then we have come to learn that F. p. is a junior synonym of F.
communis Röding, 1798.

F. communis Röding, 1798 is not known to occur in Honduras.

Harry

At 01:26 PM 8/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey All,
>
>Does anyone know the history or have any knowledge of Ficus
>caloosahatchiensis (Smith) from east Honduras?  It is apparently listed in
>Tom Rice's price guide but is not a species with which I am familiar.  Could
>it be a fossil?  Just trying to tie up some loose ends for my web page and
>this one is just hanging out there flappiing in the breeze.  Thanks,
>
>Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, Fl. 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm