From:
"David Maceira F." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:12:13 -0400
Dear all,

Yes, as Kurt and Thomas said Pfeiffer named many species from manuscript
name of orher authors as de la Torre, Ramsden, Arango, Gutierrez. In Cuba
some species was named withou its original description, so in the past
century authors as Pfeiffer described many the species from manuscript
name. In this case was used "  ". If anyone of you can see Aguayo, C. G. y
M.L. Jaume G. 1947-52. Catalogo de los Moluscos de Cuba.  La Habna. 725pp.
Mimeografiado, you could see X hundred "  " in the cited species.

regards, david,

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, G Thomas Watters wrote:
> At 09:26 PM 8/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hello!
> >
> >Hi to all,
> >
> >I have a few more questions on the Polymita descriptions.
> >
> >Polymita brocheri ("Gutierrez" Pfeiffer 1864) : this is as cited by C.
> >de la Torre in his
> >monograph.
> >

> Kurt, as always, is right. But a bit more on the subject. Pfeiffer was
> notorious for citing other people as authors - Gutierrez, Maltzan, etc. In
> my research on the Annulariidae (in which Pfeiffer named hundreds of
> species) I see this a lot. In every case Pfeiffer was working from a
> manuscript name or simply a name on a label. You have to give Pfeiffer
> credit for trying NOT to take credit for these names, but Pfeiffer is the
> one who published them.
>
> G. Thomas Watters
> Ohio Biological Survey &
> Aquatic Ecology Laboratory
> Ohio State University
> 1315 Kinnear Road
> Columbus, OH  USA
> v: 614-292-6170
> f: 614-292-0181

David Maceira F.
Malacologist. BIOECO.

Centro Oriental de Ecosistemas y Biodiversidad.BIOECO.
Museo de Historia Natural "Tomas Romay".
Enramadas # 601 esq. Barnada.
Santiago de Cuba. 90100.
Cuba.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]