Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:15:17 EDT
I just got the following in a private e-mail from Chris Takahashi. I received
his permission to pass on to those that may be interested. Note that the laws
don't just apply to those in the business but anyone bringing shells into or
having them shipped into the country. If the port of entry is not listed as a
major port by Congress, then the fee for inspection is $95, not $55. There is
also a $20 fee for preparation of the paperwork.

"As of 4 years ago any Seashells numbering 8 or more being shipped or
hand-carried into any US Port is considered a commercial shipment. Before the
limit was $2,500. You will need a US Fish & Wildlife Import/Export Lic. ($50
from
Oregon head office- if you need the address let me know). This is a yearly
fee.
Also you need a #3717 Importation Declaration Form (I have extra copies if you
need). From the PI you need a Commodities Clearance issued from the Fisheries
Bureau of The PI & a C.O. (Country of Origin) form. Whew! In case you need
proof
that what im saying is true ask Gary Heit. He was like you, for years thinking
that this is unnecessary because he never had to do this before (not to insult
Gary's or your intelligence).
Gary was stopped at the first US Port of Entry (San Fran), and his entire PI
stock, which he estimated was $20,000 cost, was confiscated. He then tried to
get forms after the fact but by then it was to late. This was a while ago & he
knows he will never get them back.
Cost of each shipment/entry is $55 ($95 if not designated a major port). As
of this year I had to pay my yearly fee
of $50 due next month. Also $55 for my last PI entry and another $55 for a box
from Madagascar. If you bring in a shipment it must be BIG. A $200 box, like
the
one I got from Madagascar, now cost me $250! It can be $5 and you STILL have
pay $55! So you see it must be a BIG shipment to make it worthwhile.
Of ALL the PI traveling shell dealers from the States I'm the most visible.
Customs & US Fish & Wildlife knows me. The head honcho for the Pacific area,
Frank Dohaylonsod, is expecting me in his office tomorrow w/the proper release
paperwork from my last PI trip. His office wants to know ALL the Stateside
dealers doing this type of business. Don't worry though, I play "dumb" & don't
give names or useful info.
If Customs & US Fish & Wildlife knows all the players dealing in PI,
Australian,
or any shells being sent from foreign countries to the US it would ruin us! I
can't order $100 from Tahiti or Australia and expect to pay $55 for each
entrance PLUS $50 yearly fee! We would lose customers due to the higher
investment cost. Im "red-flaged" where-ever I go. Sometimes I slip thru
because
someone doesn't know they're job, sometimes.
My honest suggestion to you is pay the $50 yearly fee. If they don't catch
your
parcel, great. If they do pay the fee. My credit card number is on current
file
for this. It beats losing ALL THE SHELLS! Gary now does this, same as Deynzer
&
Tideline."

Anyone who buys or trades shells is subject to this and Fish & Wild Life is
determined to get the US Postal Service to comply with the same laws. These
laws also govern shells you carry in that you self collected on vacation. So
sit back and do nothing and one day, big brother will have your shells.

Best to all

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
www.shellgems.com