From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 22:47:19 +1000
Two recommendations to fellow shellers.

1. First, I would like to endorse the recommendations of Sher Williams and
Mike Hoelling, for the book
"The Algorithmic Beauty of Sea Shells (Virtual Laboratory)" by Hans Meinhardt.

Among the shells that Hans has provided pattern algorithms for is Conus
marmoreus. The results of running this algorithm on the software program
disk that accompanies the book is most impressive and instructional.

Moreover, Meinhardt has succeeded in creating a virtual shell, ie. a 3
Dimensional representation of Conus marmoreus, and includes photographs in
his book of this.

I obtained the book from Amazon about two years ago and it has been a firm
favourite of mine and my students - and it is also doubles as an impressive
"coffee table" book and talking point. I have included this in my selection
of favourite books on my "Cone Shell Bookshop"
(http://members.tripod.com/~blivett/conebook.htm) from where further
information can be obtained and from where it (and other related books) can
be ordered direct on-line (from Amazon) should you wish. I have included
some further information below about this amazing book below.

"The Algorithmic Beauty of Sea Shells (Virtual Laboratory)" by
Hans Meinhardt / Hardcover, 204 pages / Published 1995
     List: $49.95
     Dimensions (in inches): 11.19 x 8.63 x .79 / Contains computer disk.
     ISBN: 0387578420 see review below

Reviews and Commentary for : The Algorithmic Beauty of Sea Shells (Virtual
Laboratory)

Synopsis: Mathematical models and advanced computer-generated images are
used to explain and illustrate structural growth patterns of seashells in
nature. This fascinating and beautifully illustrated book conveys the
intuitive appeal and the "touch of magic" that accompany the current
research. A diskette, packaged with the book, contains the algorithms and
simulations necessary to replicate the results. 150 illustrations.

Card catalog description : Trying to understand the growth and development
of multicellular organisms has been one of the most intriguing subjects of
research for centuries. More recently, with the help of mathematical models
and computer simulations, scientists have discovered algorithmic patterns
and models that seem to describe the dynamic processes in which organisms
grow, reproduce, and respond to external factors. In this book, Hans
Meinhardt uses seashells to explain and illustrate structure growth patterns
in nature. The result is a fascinating, beautifully illustrated book that
conveys the intuitive appeal and the "touch of magic" accompanying this
research. A diskette, packaged with the book, contains the algorithms and
simulations necessary to replicate the results.
Table of Contents
1. Shell patterns as dynamic systems
2. Pattern formation
3. Oscillations and travelling waves
4. Superposition of stable and periodic patterns
5. Meshwork of oblique lines and staggered dots
6. Branch initiation by global control
7. The big problem: two or more time-dependent patterns
8. Triangles
9. Parallel lines with tongues
10. Shell models in three dimensions
11. The computer program