From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:01:57 PDT
To all Turriders,

there is a lot of Turridae living in the  Mediterranean with several
Genera, the largest of them Fusiturris similis and Fusiturris undatiruga.
The Genera of the Turridae living in Italian waters are:
Fusiturris
Bela
Smithiella
Benthomangelia
Clathromangelia
Gymnobela
Mangelia
  Mangiliella
Taranis
Typhlomangelia
Drilliola
Microdrillia
Haedropleura
Pleurotomella
Crassopleura
Spirotropis
Mitrolumna
Raphitoma
Leufroyia
Comarmondia
Teretia

Maybe there are other Genera too, but at the moment I don't have
available all in my head. Maybe there are some changes in the
Genera too, but this is a list of Genera in general.
Hope it helps.
with best regards
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
url: www.netwing.at/nisters/

or

Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
malacological collection

Feldstr. 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86-37

----------
I'd like to hear from people with some experience in the study of Turridae,
about how large, in their experience, the distribution ranges are for most
species.

I just recently took a bunch of unidentified Turridae from Western
Australia into the Australian Museum to identify. They have heaps of them,
only the vastness in their collection seems to be concentrated in the
number of species, rather than number of specimens per species. Some of the
species I tentatively identified were previously only listed form
Queensland (about 5000 km away from where I found them). All the
information I could find is pretty parochial (i.e. it studies just the
Turridae of a particular area, but does not mention anything about outside
that area). Thus, the distribution ranges of the Turridae have seemed to be
really narrow, much narrower than I think they are. What do other people
think?

Patty Jansen
WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]