From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:35:39 +0900
> In developing countries, what is most needed is new ways for subsistence
> farmers (and fishermen) to make a living without harming the environment.
> Many private and public groups are trying to help with this.
What is most needed is a way to keep population within sustainable limits,
nothing more. Farming and fishing did not impact in any big way on
molluscan populations until the twentieth century. The majority of
endangered molluscs are from estuarine or littoral habitats where waste
water and agricultural run-off do the most damage. Stable government by
responsible people, birth control and suppression of tribalism (in all
forms) will do more to help molluscs than any locally-administered programs
in countries where any official can be bought for the price of a car. My
opinions only, you understand.