From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:16:27 -0400
Dear Dan,

Anodonta nuttalliana I. Lea, 1838 (Transactions of the American
Philosophical Society 6: 77, pl. 20, fig. 62).  A good reference for
summary authorship and date for any valid American mollusk species-;evel
name is Turgeon, D. D., J. F. Quinn, Jr., A. E. Bogan, E. V. Coan, F. G.
Hochberg, W. G. Lyons, P. M. Mikkelsen, R. J. Neves, C. F. E. Roper, G.
Rosenberg, B. Roth, A. Scheltema, F. G. Thompson, M. Vecchione and J. D.
Williams, 1998.  Common and scientific names of aquatic invertebrates from
the United States and Canada: mollusks, 2nd edition. American Fisheries
Society, Special Publication 26, Bethesda, Maryland. ($45.50 ppd. from the
American Fisheries Society, 5410 Grosvenor Lane, Suite 110
Bethesda, MD 20814 and well worth it.)

Thomas Nuttall (note two double consonants) was an eclectic naturalist, who
was born (and died) in England.  He made his mark, however, in America,
becoming well-known as an ornithologist (Nuttall's Woodpecker, etc.) and
conchologist (a dozen patronymic taxa).  He collected this mussel in Oregon
from the Willamette (note two double consonants) R., just above its
confluence with the Columbia, while serving on the Wyeth Expedition
(1834-35).  Gary R. can tell you about the Wyeth family - but we are
already a bit off-topic.

The Clear Lake record is interesting.  I recall finding that place devoid
of mussels in 1971.  Seems there was an ill-contrived insecticide campaign
against the "Clear Lake Midge" which caused a heck of a lot of collateral
damage to the lake's biota.  Records such as Talmadge's are invaluable and
underscore the importance of your volunteer resuscitation of his fine
collection.

Harry