From:
Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:07:20 PDT
Dear Sheller's,

In one month form now I will be leaving for Maputo (Mozambique) for my final
Marine Biology graduation teases. Will be there for a couple of months
studding shallow water shrimp of the Maputo bay. All though I was Born in
Lourenco Marques (today formally know as Maputo) all I know about seashells
from Mozambique comes from literature. Well ... I was wondering if any one
out there knows about any good shelling grounds around the Maputo area or if
there are any local Sheller's or dealers which I could contact. I am also
curious about what species can be found in this southern region of
Mozambique. Another question, is whether there is the possibly to contact
local fishermen (from trawlers)? I heard that the shell business is quit
restrict to a few dealers and outsiders are not very welcome, is this true?
Sorry if I bothered you all with so many questions but any info I can get
will be more then appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Carlos (Algarve - Portugal)

P.S. To all my Conch-l friends I promise I WILL CONTACT YOU ALL before my
departure, just am way over my head at the moment.