From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 12:33:05 -0600
Ferreter,

Nah, you are right on, Mark.  Although I often lift a rock the wrong way
because there is a cactus or something on the downhill side -- and I never
lift a rock up hill.  Normally, if there is a snake under the rock it will
freeze (as any of us would if some damn giant came along and ripped the roof
off of our house).  So I worry much more about where I put my fingers than I
do about being in front of or behind the rock.  The last rattlesnake we
caught was while we were doing a herp survey this summer of Ted Turner's
Armendaris Ranch south of here.  The individual who caught the snake was
peering into rock crevices and found a beautiful, little banded rock
rattlesnake not 5 inches from his nose.  Both critters stared at each other
for a few seconds and then both went opposite directions.  The snake was
caught, measured, logged and released.  All of us (but the snake) had a good
laugh.  Partly due to the humor and partially due to the adrenaline release.

As for the pygmy rattlers, yes a lot of food would certainly account for
their presence.  However, I would bet on a nearby den and the snakes would
then be seen in heavy concentrations in the spring and the fall.  Of course
if the residence is really southern in Florida there wouldn't be any real
hibernating (or brumating for reptiles) to speak of.  We have a great den
here with hundreds of prairie rattlers.  I used to visit it as a kid and was
worried about it's existence when I finally moved back here.  It is at the
base of the volcanoes west of the city (five little volcanic cones) and the
entire area has been purchased by the city and declared "open space."  This
means no vehicles, no hunting, and no catching or messing with the wild
life.  But it is still open to walk through.  I hope it lasts.

Shells, shells...  I did just find some Mesodon thyroides in one of my
potted plants on the back patio and a huge Helix aspersa along the river in
the cottonwood forest we call the bosque.  But nothing exotic.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA