From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:20:26 -0500
A comment on Boy Scouts on camping trips.  Don't ever mistakenly burn poison
ivy at a camp fire.  My doctor's son almost lost his life.  He inhaled the
smoke and it swelled his throat and bronchial tubes to the point he couldn't
breath.  They were a long way from medical help, and only CPR kept him alive
until they reached the hospital.

In fact, be careful what you do burn.  I am allergic to elm trees.  So badly
so, that my husband cut down several in our yard, stacked them up to burn in
the fire place.  I had a severe reaction to the ashes when I cleaned the
fireplace (the smoke went up the chimney I suppose, and I wasn't in the room
when it burned).

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama