From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:45:34 -0500
BIG correction:  I gave the measurements on both shells in millimeters, when
I should have said centimeters or at least put in some decimal points in the
mm's.

Thanks to everyone for the help on Polygyra.  Since these were found in a
large group (all dead) on the shore of St. Joe Bay inside a remote area of
the State Park on the peninsula and I was unable to tell whether they came
from land or sea, I think I will go with Polygyra cereolus, Muhlfeld 1816.
It was hard to tell whether they came from the water or the land, since they
were near the tide line.  It is tubular, 5 whorls, and has a flared lip like
a land snail.  This is assuming that the largest is 15cm or 1.5mm.  Do you
all agree?

BIG correction:  I gave the measurements on both shell in millimeters, when
I should have said centimeters or at least put in some decimal points in the
mm's.

Can anyone now help me with this tiny Drilla(?) that is only 9cm or less (or
.9mm)?  They are common I think, but I can't find a name.  They were
collected snorkeling in the Keys clinging to rocks on the sand bottom.

Anyone willing to help, let me know I will send you a scan of the shells for
confirmation.

Sylvia

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama