Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:31:38 EDT
The main point seems to be clear. The ideas are all good, but unless this is
all put into action before it's to late, it won't make a hoot what you want,
or would have done. For the most part if the kids were interested in your
collection they would have asked you for it. Same with other family members.
We so want others to appreciate the beauty and splendor of our little friends
that we forget that to most of them they are nothing more than trinkets or
things that take up space.

Make the arrangements before it's to late, and try not to get hung up on the
money aspect. Unfortunately, it most likely will not be that much and would
make little difference to those that receive any. At least leave some
indication of what you want done. The estate I'm working on now had no
mention of anything other than leaving the shells to his brother's children.
I believe he hoped they would love them the way he did and we all know how
that works out.

Don't be surprised when that school or institution is also looking for a cash
donation to help store, display etc. They are non profit organizations and
have little or no budget for things like this.

Many collections have several specimens of some shells and they often had
sentimental value to the individual, but are worn, chipped etc. and have
little value at a club auction. Nothing is as easy as it seems and like all
estate planning this should have some thought given to what results you
really want and are you willing to spend some money if necessary to
accomplish this. There is no simple answer as some would think and do check
with your surviving kin to see just what their thoughts are so there is no
mixed signals.

Frank

Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
  - BUY - SELL - TRADE - CONSIGNMENT -
"Quality Specimen Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://www.shellgems.com
Send for FREE list - We accept ALL major credit cards!
       NEW shells arriving every week!