From:
Stephen Pober <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:17:31 -0400
The following is posted for Karin Scott of the Transvaal Museum of
Praetoria, South Africa. As Ms. Scott is not a member of Conch-l, replies
should be made directly to her at [log in to unmask]

Thank you
Stephen E. Pober

Hi  I took the museum's shell collection under my wing not so long ago and
I was wondering if you all might have some advise.   First a little
background might help: The collection stems from the late 1800's up to the
1940's about.  The researcher left the museum and due to a lack of funding
and being inland the department was closed and the collection packed and
stored.  Part of the collection was exhanged for bird eggs with another
museum (1970's) and most of the data except for what is left on the cards
with the specimen are gone.  Scientifically speaking the collection is not
that valuable anymore but it can and is still used for, comparison
purposes.  It is a huge collection comprising of national and international
shells.  Seeing that we no longer have a shell department and is located
inland the collection will remain a static one.   I had the shell club of
Pretoria come and sort through the collection and put them in family
catagories.  I was told that my shells have "Baynes(sp?) disease" and that
I should do the following to clean and then protect the shells.  I should
put the shells in a 50% Household bleach 50 % water solution for at least a
day (24 hours) and then in clean water for another day (24 Hours) Let them
dry and then rub mineral oil on the shell (Do not submerge the shel in
oil).  I have been doning this and have now finished about 4 of the smaller
families ± 2000 shells.  (not even 1/4 of my collection).   I would like to
enquire if there is something else I should do or if you think this is
sufficient.  Please keep in mind that money is an option (as it is
everywhere else) and that there is no way that I can do anything to keep
the correct temperature and humidity in the shell collection.  Thanks for
the help  Karin  ******************** Miss Karin Scott Collections Manager:
Archaeozoology Northern Flagship Institute Museum of Natural History
(Transvaal Museum) P.O. Box 413 Pretoria South Africa 0001  Tel: 27 12 322
7632 Fax: 27 12 322 7939 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> Web: http://www-tm.up.ac.za
<http://www-tm.up.ac.za> ******************