From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:59:53 -0500
Ken,
  I had tried several numbering systems and abandoned them all for a very
simple one.  My recent shells are numbered R1, R2, R3....Rxxxx, that is
sequential.  My Cenozoic fossil shells are numbered C1, C2, C3...Cxxx
again sequential.  All data that I tried to cleverly encode in the
numbering system is recorded on the label accompanying the specimen and in
my master catalog.  If there are multiple specimens in a lot and I wish to
differentiate them I use the alphabet, thus R1a, R1b, R1c  might code for
three bivalves in a lot.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine