From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:08:27 -0700
Hi Winston,

     Thank you to the link to the "Clam Cops" article.  I found it to be very interesting and
certainly of benefit to all of us.  However, I feel kind of bad for the clams.  If things get into
the water that can harm us, just imagine what they do to the clams.  Still, it's leading edge
research.
     Well, today was my first full day of summer in Bemidji.  True to my plans, I was at work
around 10am this morning to begin work on my paper.  I started at close to 10am and had written
almost 6 full pages (double-spaced) by 2:30pm.  I'm working on the discussions of different bird
counting techniques now and will turn to the description of my work in the forest here and the
results of statistical work in the near future.  I just have to sit down with one of my committee
members to work out the statistics we should use.  It will come together, but will just take a
little time. :)
     Did you get a chance to check out the link to the specimens of Bufonaria fernandesi?  I tried
to include all relevant information in the e-mail.  The descriptions looked good, but I wonder if
they would send pictures on request.  The species seems to be quite rare, but they had a number of
good specimens.  The F++ shell would be my choice.  Speaking of shells, I found an interesting
species advertised by Showcase Shells.  They have a number of specimens of Strombus latus
portgentilensis.  They are from the Cape Verde Islands, rank F++, range from 102 to 115 mm, and
cost $22.50.  If funds allow, I might try for one of them.  I'll know in another week when I get
my last paycheck.
     Have you gotten any more done on your Bursidae project?  I still am amazed by how fast the
taxonomy changes in these areas.  When I joined Conch-L a couple of years ago, I had to learn a
whole new system of names.  I'm catching up slowly, but it still takes a while.  The Strombidae is
the group I'm becoming most acquainted with lately.  It's a great group. :)  Speaking of
Strombidae, I remember you telling me in a previous message of an article on Strombus you were
writing.  Did you complete it?  If it's not too much trouble, I'd really like to read it. :)
     Well, I had best sign off for the night.  Have to make sure I'm ready and rested to get back
to work on the paper again tomorrow.  In the meantime, I hope this finds you happy and healthy.
All is well here.  So, until next time...Take care, have a pleasant evening, rest well, and have a
great day tomorrow.  Goodnight, my friend. :)

Best wishes and happy shelling,
Tim

=====
Timothy J. Blackwood