Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:53:05 -0400
If you look at the NASA Web site that has the Space Shuttle Earth Photos (I
don't have the URL with me right now) there are a couple of pictures
illustrating what Peter mentions here -- The Caspian Sea photographed from
space in the early 1980's at the beginning of the Space Shuttle program,
and more recently in the 1990's. The receding waterline is immediately
evident and rather significant.  Studying the impact of aquatic
environments from space offers a unique perspective.
Rich