From:
"Susan J. Hewitt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 12:24:10 -0500
I would be very happy to hear from anyone who has ever found a cuttlebone (cuttlefish bone) on a beach in the Western Atlantic, including the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, Eastern Florida, etc.

If you can tell me where and when (hopefully which month, as well as which year you found it), that would be great.

I would also like to encourage people who do a lot of beach-combing on Western Atlantic beaches to keep their eyes open for cuttlebones, and post on here, or email me, if they find one.

There are no native cuttlefish in the Western Atlantic, but it seems to be the case that these buoyant objects can float across the Atlantic in only about a month and wash up on these shores.

The time of year they wash up could be correlated with the life cycle of the cuttlefish.

It does not matter if the cuttlebone is, or was, missing its cartilaginous head shield, and therefore seems unidentifiable to species.

And yes, I am aware that cuttlebones are also widely sold as pet supplies.