From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:54:32 -0500
Hello!

Hi to the world of clorox lovers,

The pronounciation of "conch" is with a "K" sound. Beats me why we dont
spell it with "K" at the ending.

In latin or spanish we do not have such a word as conch, we have concha
(pronounced as in cha cha cha, the dance) which means shell (bivalves)
and caracol for the winding snaily critters.

The word conch comes from the word concha and is strictly a Key Westism.
Why get the greeks or latins involved at all? If someone tied conch to
some greek roots (konche) it was probably a grad language student trying
to drum up some new "greco-roman rootism" for one of his dissertations
about Key West Crackers, HA!
--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power