From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2019 11:12:05 -0500
I don't know if that is  an issue with the Philly club, but Allen
perfectly describes  the problem we had pre-internet  with the Long
Island club.  A few of us worked (disproportionately) hard to provide
a meaningful program or events, usually with a real live speaker, 10
times a year and it would be very disappointing when only a few people
would turn out after the club and speaker put in  the effort.  Then,
once or twice a year we would hold an auction or some kind of fund
raiser where people could buy shells, and literally 40 or 50 people
would show up- and then disappear for the next 9 meetings; and that
was before the internet 'bourse' phenomenon began.