From:
Masashi Yamaguchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:35:58 +0900
Dear Conch-L subscribers (Pacific North-West residents, in particular),

I am searching for information about the butter clam (Saxidomus giganteus):
Whether or not this species is exported to Japan. There is a similar species
S. purpuratus that is found in central Japan. Clams, called as this Japanese one,
recently are reported to be sold widely in Japan, though it is unlikely that our
local harvest can supply Japanese market. I suspect that the clams are imported
and that it might be the butter clam from the Pacific coast of North America.
Thanks,
Masashi Yamaguchi
e-mail: [log in to unmask]