From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 21:32:38 -0400
Hi Herb / Fonda!
I am in NY state about an hour north (gaged by snail rush hour) of
Manhattan. I collect and trade worldwide marine species. I DO NOT trade
based on value as I have found that this leads to someone always feeling
cheated. If I want a particular specimen, I'll trade as generously as I can
to get it. The only exception to this is if I am sending very heavy pkgs.
then I let the other party know ahead of time an estimate of the cost and we
work it out (more shells, or actual postage, whatever). The one thing I am a
bug about is data. I collect for locale as well as species and so I want the
most complete data a trader can supply. "collected in the Philippines" is
not enough except in very rare instances. "collected south of the Third
Street jetty in Manasquan, NJ. 4/13/78 at low tide just before the turn. On
sand/ silt bottom among rushes at the water's edge." is excellent. Most
people fall somewhere between and that's ok. I just supply these extremes as
examples so neither of us is diappointed later on. Have I scared you off??
Hope not.
Now its your turn- what do you prefer to trade, any special interests?
Anything on a wish list (no, I can't rent an Alvyn to deep dive for a quick
run of Pleurotomarias, but I do have some interesting contacts)?
Kindly send your list while I finish editing mine from the last round of
trades and let's see if I can come back with an offer along with my list.
Always nice to meet new traders. Good shelling,  Karen