From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:25:37 PDT
Helmut Nisters

For better understanding the two abbreviations I would propose:
leg. = legit
lego 3., legi, lectus means 1. to collect 2. to choose, to select 3. to read
These are the three most important translations for this latin verb.

ex coll. = ex collectione and means from the collection
If there is written for example "ex. T. McGinty" on a label,
it will be better you write "ex coll. T.McGinty" if he had a
collection and donated some shells to the insitute.
If you write "coll. T.McGinty" it seems that the museum
has his whole collection. If T.McGinty gave only
one specimen and maybe his only one (what I don't
think so) it's better you write

don. = abbreviation for donum

If you write ex coll. it means that the museum or institute got only a part of
the collection of T.McGinty and there will be one or other parts anywhere
else. Ex.T.McGinty doesn't mean that McGinty  will be both, collector and
donor. It says that the shell is from the collection of T.McGinty. But the
shell can be found by another collector too and be donated by another
donor too. For example:
When I donate a shell to the museum and I've received it from another
collector and donor it's from another collection and finally of my private
one. It's really a little bit confusing.

yours Helmut