From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:18:51 -0400
Tom's question and Tom's reply reminded me of a Corbicula story.  My
co-workers, when I was in the St. Louis area, were going on a float trip on
the Meramec River, one of those largely pristine rivers with a still healthy
population of rare shells such as Leptodea leptodon, Cumberlandia monodonta,
Lampsilis orbiculata and others.  They knew I saved unionids and brought me a
cup full of shells, iced down, no less,to keep the animal alive.  I thanked
them for their efforts and thoughtfulness.  Unfortunately the shells they
brought were all Corbicula, an introduced pest species, and they were all dead
without animals inside.  My friends did not know enough about the shells than
to try to look inside a closed bivalve to see if it was alive or dead.

Still time to register for COA! It will be a blast!

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, Florida