From:
Michael LaFosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:29:12 -0400
Paul,

Yes, Bill and I discussed that, too.  He commented that much of the commercial
harvest of this snail, at that time, was a by-product of the logging industry on
the island: the cut trees were scrupulously combed for this popular snail.

Logging is a daytime activity, to be sure, and the loggers were engaged to
collect the snails.  Night time is for sleeping, especially after a hard day's
work.  Either they were ignorant of the nighttime harvest or their daytime
method most suited them.  If logging was stopped, or limited in some way, the
demand for the snail could have been an inspiration to surreptitiously cut down
trees outside of official controls.  Then, I can imagine, the snail had to be
outlawed in order to become part of the solution.

Easter Island was full of trees, once!

Michael LaFosse