From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 02:41:25 -0600
Doug,

I have specimens of Amphidromus reflexilabris Schepman, 1892 collected in
western Timor, Indonesia which have survived repeated slash-and-burn
agricultural methods by burrowing deep in the knot-holes of large, gray,
smooth bark trees (maybe Tony Whitten knows the tree species?).  The trees
are located in the midst of the large burnt field.  Dead, charred shells
were found on the ground in the field near the trees, but many survived in
the trees.  The shells of this population are much lighter in color and
seem thicker or more solid than shells from other populations observed.  I
am not sure whether the thick shells or coloration have any correlation to
the heat from the fire.  Interestingly, a goodly number of the population
survive the fires.  I have observed similar survival of snails in the
Florida Keys and southern Texas (both from lightening strikes), and in
Jamaica and Puerto Rico (deliberately set fires).   I do not have the
species names in front of me, but  I remember that some are operculates.
In all cases, a portion of the population seems to have found enough
protection from the fire to perpetuate the species.

Rich

Richard L. Goldberg
Worldwide Specimen Shells
http://www.erols.com/worldwide