From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 14:42:49 -0400
Dear Bob,
Using your average & standard deviation this is what I get:

(21-15.5)/1.33= 4.135... & (15.5-10)/1.33= 4.135...

Thus, shells with 10 or 21 labial teeth are just beyond 4 standard
deviations away from the mean. In a normally distributed population,
0.0000317% of the specimens will be below & above the 4 SD mark. So, on the
average expect one shell with 10 & another with 21 teeth per about 3 million
shells! Then again, the next shell you pick up may turn out to have 10 or 21
teeth. Good luck.

I have looked at your results on the Internet. To me your Fig. 8 looks as
good as any other normal distribution I have seen. I wouldn't worry about
the results of chi-square too much. Sewall Wright has a section on
distributions of meristic variables (variables that are not continuous, such
as teeth counts) in vol. 1 (pp. 127-139) of his Evolution & the Genetics of
Populations. Most of that book is mathematically beyond my (and I suspect
most biologist's) understanding, but he does discuss in non-mathematical
terms many examples from the literature. I recommend the relevant section.
He states that the distributions of many meristic variables are "near
normal". That may be what you are seeing.

Have you considered publishing your results?

Aydin