From:
"Thomas A. Burch" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:15:39 -1000
        Re. Strombus gigas

        My wife, Beatrice, loves e-mail but hates computers.  So I print out all of
the e-mail from Conch-L, Mollusca, etc. so she can read them at her leisure.
She fell behind in her reading and just came across a batch from last
November.  This included  several letters regarding Strombus gigas from Alex
Fraissinet, David Monsecour, David Filgueira, and Michael Dolbecl.

        Beatrice thought that the following book might be useful: THE IUCN
INVERTEBRATE RED DATA BOOK compiled by Susan M. Wells, Robert M. Pyle, and
N. Mark Collins and published by IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, 1983 (IUCN
Conservation Monitoring Centre, 219(c) Huntingdon Road, Cambridge CB3 0DL,
U.K.)  IUCN, incidentally, is the International Union for Conservation of
Nature and Natural Resources. (E-mail [log in to unmask])

        This book is a great source of data on endangered species.  Topics include
fine bibliographies in addition to taxonomic lists of threatened
invertebrates described in the volume, and threatened communities arranged
by country and zoogeographical region.  All main invertebrates from Protozoa
through Echinoderms and odd-ball invertebrates are discussed.  The index is
by phyla, families, genera, and species.  Mollusks are on pages 67-196.
Strombus gigas has topics including a summary, description, distribution,
population, habitat, ecology, scientific interest, potential value, threats
to survival, conservation measures taken and proposed, captive breeding, and
62 references on these topics.

        Our copy was published in 1983.  We are not sure, if a revised edition has
been published or not.  We recommend it to anyone interested in endangered
invertebrates.  Incidentally, Beatrice is writing a review of the Molluscan
section for the Internet Version of the Hawaiian Shell News
(http://www.hits.net/~hsn)

                        Aloha
--
Thomas A. Burch, MD & Beatrice L. Burch