Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:44:45 EST
Dear Phil,
        It's been awhile but I've been looking over our Littorina from NW Florida.  I
got together with fellow club member Linda Brunner and we examined our species
of Littorina.  We looked at Marine Gastropods from Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire
by
de Jong & Coomans.  We also looked through every other  shell book on Florida
&
Caribbean shells.  I believe we both have decided that our species of
Littorina
need a closer inspection.  You stated you believed we had four species of
Littorina; L. angulifera, L. irrorata, L. nebulosa & L. interrupta.  That last
one, L.
interrupta, very interesting.  In other books, when it was even mentioned
including Johnstonia, at best was a syn.  However I (we) are willing to accept
that name.  We believe we have L. ziczac and at least one other species, L.
lineolata or L. angustior, or both.  Yeah, the last three species will give
you one
heck of a headache if you look at them long enough.  Will be more than happy
send you a specimen whenever a spare is available.  The only two Littorina in
our
collection is L. angulifera and L. irrorata.  My wife and I never kept any of
the
other species.  Next time you head out to Pensacola, keep coming East and
check
out our area.  Thanks for your response to my original notice.  You have made
this
experience quite interesting.

Bob G