From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:02:09 -0600
Marlo,

At 05:54 PM 6/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Do any of the experts out there disagree with the following summary of the
>various comments::
>
>All the oils may enhance color, but will not preserve it.

I only have experience using the mineral oil/naphtha solution.  Yes, it
does enhance the color of shells that have been dulled by time and
environment.  It's debatable whether it prolongs color.   For example,  I
have three Strombus gallus that I self collected from off Cabo Rojo, Puerto
Rico in the early 1980's.  One is yellow, one orange, and the other purple.
 I photographed them when I returned home from that trip.  They were then
wrapped in tissue and boxed away until a couple of years ago when I found
the box.  I used a coating of the mineral oil solution on the backs of the
shells before storing them away.  Unfortunately, the color is now pale in
comparison to the original color.  So I've learned that unless a shell is
in need of some "enhancement" from hanging out on a shelf or in a cabinet
for years, I avoid using any "enhancement" solution.

>There are three keys to minimizing deterioration, 1) keep em out of light
>(UV protected); 2) keep em dry, and 3) keep em cool.

Correctamundo...

>If you do not store em on display, don't use anything -- follow the three
>keys.
>Add the oils when you wish to enhance the color for display.

Personal choice...

>Note:  Oils mask nicks, scratches and other minor defects in addition to
>enhancing color..  Do not buy oiled shells since the actual quality of the
>shell will be masked.

I've never heard of this before.  How can oil mask a flaw?

>Marlo

Rich

>Laura Pegler wrote:
>
>> Rich,
>>
>> Do you not use anything on Cypraea, Oliva or Marginella? As a beginning
>> sheller, I've been told to put just mineral oil on everything.  What do
>> you suggest.  I realize that these three families already have there
>> shine, but don't you need to use something to maintain this?
>>
>> Laura

Richard L. Goldberg
Worldwide Specimen Shells
http://www.erols.com/worldwide