From:
"Harry E. Tasker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 20:41:39 -0600
Jerome Wong wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
>  The cone shell has all the markings but the shell is a little more
> curved.
> The tail is pointy but not as pointed like the ones on the web pages.
> I t
> does have the unifofrm type tents with occassional big tents and light
> brown
> shade that surround the shell (only two lines) In the shaded area is
> are
> darke brown lines that go parrallel with the axis of the shell
> (reminds me
> of wind lines on a lake).
>  I have been very lucky this month first a Golden Cowrie and hopefully
> this,
> all in the general area at my favorite dive spot, Thank you for your
> helpguys

Hi Jerome;
I used to live on Guam in the 60's and we used to find Conus aulicus,
which sort of fit your discription.  There were two distinct varities,
one was darker brown and one almost orange or golden.
Another possible cone, which is found on Guam is Conus aureus and is
found in the clasical brown color and also a golden colored type.
Another cone occasionaly found on Guam is Conus tigrinus, usually found
in the same area as C. textile but it has a much different pattern.  In
two years and at least one dive daily at Tumon Bay, where the hotels are
now only one was found in shallow water under a large peice of broken
off brain coral.  To my knowledge a C. gloriamaris has never been found
on Guam or in the central Marianis.  I am not sure about the southern in
near Palaw but anyway I hope this helps you.  I tried to send you a
picture and got my mail returned when I send it to you at the address on
this message.

Harry