From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:04:15 +1000
Dear All,

I received this very sad news this morning:

To those of us who knew him:
Dr Kevin Lamprell, Honorary Assistant, Queensland Museum passed away in the
early hours of this morning after a short illness. Kevin was an honorary in
the mollusc section since I began here in 1980. A retired plumber, Kevin
was a keen shell collector for many years of his life. But it was in his
retirement that he became a prodigious Australian and international
researcher in the field of bivalve taxonomy. He authored and co-authored
several landmark books (plus numerous smaller scientific publications) on
Australian and worldwide bivalves and in particular on his beloved
spondylids (thorny oysters). Singlehandedly he raised the profile of the
bivalves from one of relative obscurity. He gained a Ph D for his efforts
from Griffith University in 2000. A great mate. He will be missed by all
who kno and ew him

Vale Kevin

Dr John Stanisic
Senior Curator, Malacology