From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:14:28 -0800
Hello everyone,

     My name is Tim Blackwood and I recently inquired about the status of Strombus (Euprotomus)
aurora.  Henk K. Mienis and Gijs C. Kronenberg provided excellent information for which I am most
grateful.  What I have been experiencing difficulty with is actually locating a good specimen from
a confirmed locality for this species.  I've found specimens on eBay that resemble E. aurora that
were said to be from the Philippines.  However, they were labeled E. aurisdianae and I was unable
to determine any of the finer details from the pictures provided.  From what I've seen so far, the
majority of dealers offering this species are located outside the US.  Plus, my funds for
specimens are seriously limited (I'm a graduate student in biology and the school keeps my funds
very limited, especially after my teaching assistantship came to an end).  I was wondering if
anyone might happen to have a spare specimen they would consider donating to me for comparison
with specimens of E. aurisdianae and E. bulla.  My interest is genuine.  I've focused on bird
community studies for my Master's degree, but study shells for personal enjoyment and
enlightenment.  Gijs was kind enough to send a copy of his original description with beautiful
photographs, but I am interested in examining an actual specimen.  If anyone has a spare specimen
they would consider parting with, your generosity will be greatly appreciated.  If such a shell is
available, please send it to my home address as listed in the signature at the bottom of the page.
 Thank you for for your time and I'll look forward to hearing from you, whatever your decision may
be.  It's been a great experience belonging to such a great community of people on Conch-L. :)

Best holiday wishes,
Tim

=====
Timothy J. Blackwood