From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:20:55 -0400
Georgiana L Wingard wrote:
> I can't help with Linda's problem, but I have a related problem and a
> request.  We are constantly admonished to never open emails if you can't id
> the sender.  Therefore, I have to look into the properties of each email
> from the Conch-L list to be sure it is from Conch-L.  This is time
> consuming and I often end up deleting many emails probably coming from the
> list, but I don't have time to verify.  The other list-servers I belong to
> insert an identifier into each subject line that passes through the server.
> Could Conch-L please do this?  It would be very helpful.

You can't.

The spammers use robots which harvest email adresses from all the
newsgroups, then use those adresses to penetrate your and your server's
protection.

However, you can't do any damage by opening an email. What can cause
damage (big time!) is opening an ATTACHMENT to an email.

So, first and foremost, your browser (reader) MUST be configured to
NEVER open attachments automatically.

You should also have a good anti-virus which screens all incoming email
(I like Norton, there are other good ones). It's real cheap insurance.
It also prevents infection from clients' files, etc.

You should learn how to use yer browser's email management preferences.
For example, all my Conch-L messages go directly to a folder called
(curiously) Conch-L, while all emails advertising shells for sale go
directly to a folder called Trash. It's not hard to do and you don't
have to be a geek to figure it out.

And did I mention that your browser MUST be configured to NEVER open
attachments automatically?