From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:12:35 -0500
Dear Andrew et al.,

While I'm not considered much of a votary of leftist causes, I am compelled
to speak out for the amino acids; in living systems, they are normally
left-handed molecules.

A pal of mine, Ed Picou, a retired paleontologist involved with petroleum
prospecting, showed me that the direction of coil in fossil helical forams
was in some instances an unambiguous stratigraphic marker.  Proper
attention to sinistral or dextral chirality of these creatures can make the
difference between finding a gusher of black gold or drilling a dry well.