From:
Alex Sassi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:19:21 -0400
Hi Doug,

To my understanding if you are simply photographing and returning specimens
you find you technically won't be violating any laws, though if you are in
a marine refuge area, you will likely be discouraged from handling live
marine invertebrates (according to the signage I've seen in the San
Francisco - Monterey area).

I don't know the Santa Barbara area myself, but I have a copy of
the "Beachcombers Guide to Seashore Life of California" (J. Duane Sept),
which mentions several beaches in the area.  The book is illustrated with
color pictures of the various species and has a mini-guide to beaches for
observing intertidal life. I don't have it with me right now, but I
remember that Refugio State Beach is listed.  Check the tides, though, I
don't think they will be that low during the first week of July.

Whether you can legally collect the empty shells of Haliotis cracherodii
depends on the myriad of regulations. In some places (like Asilomar Beach
in the Monterey area), collection of empty shells is prohibited. Best to
check locally once you decide where to go. I've seen a few (live and empty)
H. cracherodii under rather large rocks (1 - 2 ft diameter) in the general
Monterey area, exposed at low tide.

I might be in Santa Barbara myself over the 4th of July weekend. If you
learn of any good places off the list, feel free to contact me directly.

cheers, and have a great trip!
Alex

Berkeley, CA