From:
Umit Kebapçı <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:28:22 +0200
I personally haven\'t seen any reference on dropping the terms.

Terminology is often analogous, eg despite male genitalia of crabs, snails and
us are different, all are named same (see Limax corsicus and think again!).
But when specialized the terminology becomes more separative. I guess the
choice for refusal is due to morphological undistinctness of hibernation and
aestivation, or not being similar to other animals. In that case maybe the
term dormant (-cy) will come out.

I think at least hibernation in snails deserve its name, being a biochemically
complex process.

Alıntı yapılıyor Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>:

> >I was chatting about land snails recently with another collector and
> >was informed that usage of the term \"aestivation\" is not longer
> >acceptable in describing a terrestrial snail\'s resting state.
> >
> >Can someone clarify- is this true and, if so, what term is being
> >used in its place?  (I\'m assuming that \"sleepy, quiet time\" is a
> >little too informal of a description of this behavior).
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >
> >Phil Liff-Grieff
> >La Crescenta, California
>
> Offline, of course!