From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:47:06 +1200
>Ebay has lots of microscopes of all different quality levels.
>Probably macro lenses and adapters, too, though I haven't looked for
>those there.  If you don't see what you want this week, check back
>in a week or two.
>- John

For work with shells a binocular macroscope is what's needed. A
decent one like a Wild (pronounced like "will" with a d on the end,
now owned by Leica) or Zeiss.

A place to look is LabX, which you join and get regular e-mails of
auctions & sales of lab gear.

On LabX I bought a Wild M8 for a good price, and a Wild Photoautomat
(film-camera body on phototube, with autexposure computer, very
cheaply. I haven't tried it, but would bet that a digital camera
could be attached to replace the Wild body. When I remove both the
shutter and camera bodies it leaves a plain tube-end, for which an
adaptor should be available or could easily be made out of plastic in
a lathe.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin