From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:52:13 -0400
On 10/18/97 and 9/7/2005 I posted this to Conch-L:

"................ My colleague, Henry McCullagh, has had a  similar
experience in cowry husbandry.  His animals, Cypraea cervus, were
collected by him in the inshore shallows of the Florida Keys, where
they are easily observed feeding on Loggerhead Sponge.

"Perhaps unabashed omnivory is a more apt description of their
trophic behavior in vitro (like that of C. spadicea).  The C. cervus
ate (occasionally from the hand that fed): red and green marine
algae, living sponges (a locally-collected (N.E Florida) red species
with maximal voracity), and moribund or dead mollusca (including
naiads and estuarine clams on the half shell) rendered thus from
primary predation by Hexaplex fulvescens aquarium mates.  Henry's
term of cowry stewardship lasted two to three years and was concluded
with their liberation.  (The same H. f. were released after eighteen
years in captivity.) ..................."

I think these cowries also ate lettuce.

Harry