From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:14:12 +0800
Dear All,

I agree with Philippe Quiquandon that the web is a WILD place.

The best we got with Conchology, Inc., but this is a couple of years
ago: an Australian would-be dealer stole images from our homepage, put
them on Ebay, cashed the money.

We later got a customer of him telling us that we have his shell
online !

Ebay hardly reacted. The Australian said his cleaning woman used his
computer during his absence.

On a personal level, in African knives I got one fake for two knives
bought on the net. And once I lost 1500 $ in trying to buy the
reedition of 1964 of the first National Geographics: this was a fake
page of Roumenian gangsters that we were lured in. I should have known
as antique dealers always ask 2500 euro for that.

This is only the top of the iceberg of course. There are also millions
of good people out there and the net is a great medium for dealers and
collectors.

Mabuhay from Mactan island, the Philippines.

Guido T. Poppe
Vice President Conchology, Inc.
Scientific Associate, Malacology Section, Royal Belgian Insitute of
Natural Sciences, Brussels.
Scientific Collaborator to the National Museum of Natural Sciences,
Paris.

Conchology, Inc.
Cebu Light Industrial Park,
Basak, Lapu-Lapu City,