From:
Sid Sneidar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:15:38 -1000
Martin "picvk up by the big end" is a basesd on a false premise; that the
'stinger' cannot reach that far back. While in Guam years ago, my shelling
buddy and I brought back a C.textile to his house and drpped it in a shallow
saucer of sea water. As it roamed around my buddy put the lighted end of a
cigarette 1" away from it's big end. Its's proboscis immediately came out,
seeked the source of the heat and reached the end of the cigarette. We heard
the  hiss as it 'stung' the cigarette. After that we wore heavy gloves while
picking up the cones.

I keep shells in a large screw top jar attached to my wrist with nylon cord.

Regards, Sid Sneidar