From:
Simon Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:00:03 +1100
G'day Alan,

Regarding your question below...

I self collected marine shells in China last year on several occasions/ trips while working on an extended project in CHINA. Two times during the Olympics my hand luggage was x-rayed & opened.
One time they (during domestic flight) asked "what these were" and I told them "seashells".
No problems although they looked at them for what seemed like ages!!

No problem leaving China on three occasions back to Australia (entering back into Australia is another issue...) with my self collected & also a couple of local seafood market marine shells.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Simon

Question:  Has anyone had problems with shells self collected in the
People's Republic of China exiting the country or coming back into
the U.S.?
I think I would only have common shells from the local seafood market
(all
Non-CITES) similar to what Martin had purchased in the Philippines.

Thanks,

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, Florida