From:
Alan Kohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:25:35 -0700
David's caveat about sequencing shortcomings is valid, but the reason that science is so successful is that it is self-correcting. Errors perpetrated by one scientist are discovered and rectified by subsequent workers, and improved understanding results.

Here is a recent example: In a molecular genetics-based interpretation of species-level phylogeny, Duda, Kohn & Palumbi (2001, Biological Journal of the Linnean Society of London, 73:391) inadvertently included an erroneous sequence (in Fig. 2) that resulted in a clade consisting of Conus furvus and C. litteratus. In a broader study of morphological, behavioral and ecological as well as molecular characters of the former species, Espino et al. (2008, Nautilus, 122:143) showed that all other character sets pointed to a closer relationship with molluscivorous species than with vermivores such as C. litteratus. And their restudy sequencing the same genes showed that we had initially reported an erroneous sequence.

Of course as is always true in science, this is likely not the last word.

If anyone would like pdfs of these papers, I'll be glad to send them.

Alan