Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 19:21:53 -0500
Create field labels to accompany each sample on appropriately sturdy,
archival paper stock, with pencil or alcohol-fast ink (e.g., india ink).
The label should at a minimum include the field number; it is also very
useful if you note on the label the fixative used, whether there are
associated photos or subsamples, and field species identification, if any.

You should record the following data:

1.  Primary location (e.g., island), secondary location (specific site on
island), GPS coordinates (from Google earth, Terra Server, etc.)
2.  Macrohabitat (photos), microhabitat, depth and tide conditions
3.  Date
4.  Collector
5.  Proposed taxon ID at level known
6.  Specific notes about sample and specimens (abundance, behavior, etc.)
7.  If pickled, fixative used

Macrohabitat types:  On island reef systems include: outer reef slope / fore
reef, reef crest, outer reef flat, inner reef flat, inner sand flat,
mangrove, moat (<3m) deep), lagoon (>3m deep), lagoon slope, lagoonal patch
reef, etc.

Microhabitats types:  In sand, attached under rock, loose under rock, in
reef framework, boring in rock. etc.

Consider preserving tissue samples from live animal for DNA analysis and
retain shell to accompany tissue sample.  Participate in CBOL.  See
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showtopic=1178

Marlo
merritt island, fl

Carole Marshall wrote:

Conch-L is unusually quiet lately. Everyone must be busy or on another
website. Anyway, I have a question. If I collect in an area and feel that
the specimens should be made available to future workers, how would that be
done. What information needs to be included and what museums should be
contacted and anything else anyone can tell me about the process.
 Also, if I should find other organisms other than mollusks, what could be
done with them to preserve them.