From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 18:28:56 -0500
Martin,
Geode was a poor term for Bob's hunk of limestone with a cavity in it.
Some geodes (as from Oregon?) do look like brown lumps of mud with silica
inside.  Geodes form in cavities in different types of rocks (mostly
basalts and tuffs but even some limestones) and usually have quartz
crystals lining the inside, but may have calcite and/or a number of
different minerals.  Bob's limestone formed as calcareous mud on an
ancient sea floor, which happened to have a marine snail trapped in the
mud.  The shell remained mostly empty when buried.  When the mud
consolidated as a rock, the fluids from the mud first dissolved the
shell, leaving a cavity ( a mold of the outside of the shell), then
precipitated some fine calcite crystals in the cavity.  A geode it is
not.  I have a BS in geology and a Master's degree in paleontology, if
that is supposed to help.