From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:33:22 +1300
> I think this is not a favorable idea. How about our species concept? What was it like.... Think about that before naming a hybrid "species" or whole "genus"... or whatever taxon (!).

Hybrids have already been named (eg Lambis arachnoides {=wheelwrighti}
and also orchids at generic and specific levels), and are an excellent
example of instant evolution if they breed true with themselves and/or
either/both of their parent species, as appears to be the case with L.
arachnoides, as it is so common. However both parent species, if the
hybrids do not form a population, would preferably be known before
describing it as a new species.

Plenty of POSSIBLY hybrid specimens of various genus-level taxa occur,
but most of these cannot be confidently called hybrids and of course
should not be named.

They're there and they're not going to go away in a hurry.
--
Regards
Andrew Grebneff