From:
Alan Kohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 2010 20:45:25 -0700
Dear Bill, Paul, et al.,

Actually the lectotype of Conus aulicus is not in Sweden but in the Gualtieri Collection in the Museo di Storia Naturale, Università di Pisa, Italy, where Robert Moolenbeek discovered it, I believe around 1990. Here is the story: In his own copy of the Systema Naturae of 1758, Linnaeus indicated that he owned a specimen of C. aulicus in his collection. When I studied his collection 200 years later, I found no specimen of C. aulicus. Neither had Sylvanus Hanley a hundred years before (Ipsa Linnaei Conchylia, London, 1855). Thus in the absence of a type specimen, in my 1963 paper I selected as lectotype a specimen that Linnaeus had cited as representing his new species in his original description. This shell was described and illustrated by Gualtieri in 1742. Of course he could not have named it according to Linnaeus's system, which was not yet invented. However, Gualtieri described his specimen and illustrated it in a fine engraving that Linnaeus also cited. I reproduced Gual!
 tieri's image as the representation of the lectotype of C. aulicus. At that time we did not know the whereabouts of Gualtieri's specimen either. However, as mentioned above Robert Moloenbeek located it in the Pisa Museum and kindly provided me with photographs of it. They appear, along with a reproduction of Gualtieri's original illustration, in my 1992 book that Bill cited.

Alan