From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:57:38 -0500
If shell colors are generally visible to predators, then variation in
color can be a way to disrupt the predator's search image.  This works
in some land snails preyed on by birds, e.g. Cepaea.  If one pattern
is particularly common, the birds learn to look for it, which tends to
make that pattern rarer (they're all getting eaten) and others more
common, until the birds learn a new pattern.  However, many scallops
aren't that conspicuous due to epibionts, etc., and probably more of
the marine predation is by chemical rather than visual detection.

--
Dr. David Campbell
4830 University Blvd E H4