From:
"Batt, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:46:10 -0500
Hi - My server won't let me reply directly to those who would like identifications, so I'll try this.
Unknown No. 1 (Joe) is definitely Kuphus polypthalmus, a calcareous tube made by a clam related to shipworms (Family Teredidae).  Found in the Philippines (labels often say Cebu, but probably from elsewhere in the islands).  Very nice length: they do get to about 200 cm but the ones I've seen for sale recently are more on the range of 70-80 cm.
Unknown No. 2 (Desiree) looks very much like a worn shall of a giant clam (genus Tridacna), and the shape looks closest to T. derasa, found in southeast Asia and Indonesia usually.  Not sure of any clams of that genus found in Africa, but possibly a fossil species?