Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:30:00 -0500
I agree with Marcus on his input - but would like to add a bit more.

How about Earthquake country as the Pacific Rim is covering that region.

Consider a tall coral head - like a column with all sorts of life up and
down.
Then:
1. It over grows and topples, crashing upon itself on the way down and
upon shells.
2. It is toppled by the sideways motion of the ocean floor in an Earth
Quake.....
3. It isn't all that tall but is banged up by nets / metal finger boxes
and such pulling
     over the top or some of it - crashing upon the rocky bottom from
previous falls.

Coral rock is like limestone - I have seen it sawed and shaped.  It is
like a rock fall
off the edge of a hill.

I also have some cones and other shells with such deep cut scars that
are healed over.

Wonder if it is a beak of a squid.  It doesn't have to be a big monster
like on TV, but
teenager size should be able to do that as well.

Martin